U of U Poetry Society

U of U Poetry Society
Design by Marcel Gatzembide

Friday, September 30, 2011

First Meeting

The first meeting went well. Hopefully this blog will be useful to keep things we discuss, such as the writing prompt for this week, organized and available.

For the writing prompt, we discussed the Stanley Milgram experiment (because we have a couple psychologists) and it's impacts and relevance to us as people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Here's a synopsis on everything you would like to know on the experiment.

Here's the prompt:
"based on the above experiment, use the words 'school,' 'obedience,' and 'pontification' (any tense is acceptable) to make a poem from your own perspective about an issue relevant in your life"

Hope you all have a good week and I look forward to seeing your creations.

1 comment:

  1. Here is my attempt:


    During this morning's cereal
    my heart
    reached out and caught a star
    floating in charmed milk.
    So I bent the light and threw it
    like a horseshoe
    towards a clover
    hoping for luck.

    These mornings before school
    my mind wanders and imaginates.

    I imaginate a world where
    schools teach
    tolerance
    instead of just
    knowlerance.
    Where they teach
    meanings
    instead of
    wordings.
    Openness
    instead of
    obedience.
    In place of
    emptiness
    I would prefer
    imagination.

    We seem to
    know
    but not
    believe
    that
    it's the hearts bestowed to those below us
    that
    keep us beating death and undying.

    We want to
    know
    but not
    create
    our world,
    all of which is child's play.

    I find putrid pontification
    in places where academia's aims
    are far-too-far
    narrower than our
    heart's corridors.

    But we continue to
    obediate
    instead of
    imaginate.

    As the balloon
    of my imagination settled back
    to the brown grains of reality
    I heard a voice

    "Silly people,
    dreams are for everyone"

    ReplyDelete